Saturday, December 20, 2008

Finally Finals are Over

My first official semester is over at CSUF. I think overall it's been fun. I didn't meet as many friends as I anticipated, but the very few I did, turned out to be passionate students -- like ME! I crack myself up sometimes.

I always try to have a "buddy" in each of my classes just in case if I had to miss a class (which is super RARE), I can refer to this go-to person for any notes. But, what I learned early on in the semester, which surprised me greatly, was that even at the university level, students (or shall I say "younger" students) aren't any different than say the junior college-level students, in that they still skip classes, only show up to turn in papers/projects or to take mid-terms, tests and finals. So...I couldn't rely on them even if I wanted.

I found that out to be true for my COMM 361 and COMM 346 classes. Oddly enough, my RTVF 375 Documentary Film class is where I found the two fellow-classmates, Elayne and Tony to be serious students. Thankfully, we were able to hold two study-groups before the final and bounced information off one another during our intense study sessions. I found this to be very helpful for the final. I'm bummed we didn't do this for the mid-term.

Overall, I felt okay with each of the finals. I know I have at least strong Bs (hopefully As) in all classes. My kids have all said, "that's great Mommy!" :-( I wanted all As. Overachiever, I know.

Now...I have at the very least 5 weeks ahead of nothingness. What will I do with my time? I could take up walking again -- unlikely though in this Alaskan-weather we've been having. While I welcome the downtime, I don't welcome the idleness. I'll take a few weeks off mentally then it's time to prepare for the spring semester. I'm looking forward to it. I'm a nerd that way, I suppose.

No comments: