Thursday, January 19, 2006

Biology 101

1/19/06 Our first day of class was Tuesday. I felt Nicole and I walked into our very own sitcom. Upon entering the classroom, there were people already seated and the instructor was standing at the front of the class. We couldn't have planned any perfectly as we walked in to find 3 open seats smack dab in the middle of the room, front center. As if those seats were made for us! Odd, I know. First day of class is usually a little slower than normal in that we have to get orientated. Each professor has a different system so it's always good to know how they prefer to conduct lectures, accept homework assignments, etc. We later moved into the lab where we had our first hands-on assignment. It was basic knowledge of handling a microscope and we were given 2 slides to view. Our main homework assignment is to memorize the parts of microscope. Professor Mayo has a web site that he updates frequently. He allows students to download lectures and study guides as supplemental material. Some important rules to follow are: 1) No food or drinks in the lab; 2) TURN OFF ALL CELL PHONES; 3) Wash your hands upon exiting the lab; and 4) You MUST sign out before leaving class. Wouldn't you know it...Nicole and I got caught up in our discussion with Professor Mayo about Thai food and other cultural interests, we completely forgot to sign-out! I emailed Professor Mayo the next day about our neglecting to sign-out and he said it was okay and to basically remember going forward. Whew! That's 1 point off for each time you forget to sign-out! We'll definitely adhere to that rule, that's for sure.

2 comments:

Annie said...

1/20/06
Last night's class consisted of a Power Point lecture where we learned about carbohydrates, glucose, lipids, DNA, RNA, etc. There were some hilarious moments about the characteristics of men vs. women and their DNA make-up in regards to the X and Y chromosones. Because I dare not emulate the exact case points (I would do Prof. Mayo an injustice)...trust me on this one, using the old cliche, "you had to be there", you really had to be there. Nonetheless, it was a great class. I feel a little overwhelmed due largely in part that I still do not have the textbook, but because I still need to organize my study time evenly (or based on priority) amongst the other four classes. I believe after this weekend, I should have somewhat of a better idea as to how this should be structured. I have an orientation for POSC 100 on Saturday and once I've been able to gauge the amount of time I will need to dedicate to that class (thank God it is conducted mostly online too), I can better map out my school/study schedule. It's a humbling experience in its own right. I would not recommend taking on this many units to even my worse enemy, however, because I am my own adversary and time is of essence, I must carefully and meticulously organize my tasks and priorities.

Annie said...

1/20/06 Additional Info
I forgot to mention the highlight of the evening. We were able to view organisms found in Pond water! The most amazing thing I've experienced in a science class thus far. There were little critters that had a variety of characteristics ranging from "feelers" or antennae, eyes, mouths, wings, legs, and visible digestive systems. There were chunks of moss, algae, and evidence of feces (yes...in layman's term: POOP!). All of the above are necessary to the survival of LIFE as we know it in Ponds. I will never look at another pond the same ever again.