Thursday, January 19, 2006

Music Theory 103

Well aside from being probably the oldest in this class (besides the professor...come to think of it, I think I'm probably the oldest in all my classes...that sucks!), I think I will really enjoy it. I have always wanted to be proficient in sight-reading, music notations and music theory. Now I have my chance to further my knowledge. My instructor is Dr. Kate Reid. She is very well-versed, incredibly knowledgeable and talented. I also learned that she once sang with Crystal Barron's Definitely Dickens Christmas Carolers! Small world, huh? Who knew? So we have a connection there already. Awesome! I had planned on auditioning for Applied Music (private lessons) at her persuasion, but unfortunately I already carry 19 units and it would take an act of God to approve adding (just) one more unit. Apparently, 19 is the max a student can carry. I'm bummed. It would have been nice. She also suggested I join the vocal jazz ensemble but unfortunately that class meets mid-day and I'm already tweaking my schedule in order for me to be able to take her morning class. I will need to purchase the book bundle ASAP as the homework assignments are extensive and requires TIME to complete. The longer I put off purchasing the book, the worst-off I will be. Thankfully, my cousin Grace is helping me in that area. I should have my books by today or tomorrow (Friday) at the very latest! MY GOAL: MEMORIZE KEY SIGNATURES! Study study study! :-)

1 comment:

Annie said...

Well I can honestly say that I am one step closer to learning my key signatures. I do have to admit, this class is not easy. There is so much involved that the average person would be shocked to know. It's just TMI - too much info. One thing I am accelerating in is the Ear Training. I actually enjoy that very much. I was so on the verge of giving up last night, literally. I thought perhaps it would be best to drop the class but I am determined not to drop and to finish and complete this class. My goal to still shoot for a high B/low A if possible. The very thing I like - Music - is proving to be one of the toughest classes yet. Next goal (after I master the key signatures that is) is to learn time signatures. That is an area proving to be tough as well. I have to do it!