Saturday, August 12, 2006

Broadcasting Course

I received an email from my Journalism professor soliciting his Journalism 118 class, Intro to Broadcasting, which due to low enrollment, if it doesn't meet the required registration quota may be cancelled. So I took the liberty of researching the course and attempting to view the video samples of live CNC-Live broadcasts on cable (to no avail, mind you) and enrolled in the course. One minor problem: the class is conducted during the day M/W from 1:00 - 2:20 PM. I went ahead and enrolled for two reasons:
  1. If I am offered any one of the positions for which I am interviewing, I hope to work around the class time.
  2. If I land the job at Cypress College, maybe, just maybe I can take those two days lunch hour (providing my lunch is an HOUR) to take this class.
  3. If I get offered the other position with this insurance company, which happens to be in Cypress (convenient, huh?) then maybe, just maybe, I can work around M/W during class time as my lunch hour (again, providing I get an HOUR for lunch)
  4. If I don't get either of the two jobs, I'll have that class time secured and I'm good to go!
  5. If it takes a really long time to get through the interview process and then another long delay in making the offers and process paperwork as a new employee (that's being optimistic, right?), I can still take this course.
My only nightmare would be if I do get offered a position and my new employer can't work around my school schedule, I would be up-the-creek-without-a-paddle. I WITHDREW from two courses last semester and was placed on "probation one" and "probation two" which is a red-flag to the financial aid loan company. My counselor basically told me not to withdraw in the middle of the school season and I should be okay. In fact, if I need to drop the course, I will need to do so before the deadline to "DROP WITHOUT A 'W' ". Makes sense.

So, I'll leave my schedule for now. More later.

No comments: