Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Journalism - Mass Media Survey

Tonight was an interesting class. There was a good number of people enrolled in the Journalism: Mass Media Survey course which is a good thing. Surprisingly, there were a few Radiology majors or certificate achievers and a few other miscellaneous majors all looking to pic up an elective to complete their GE's, but the majority of the people registered were indeed Communications majors. I met a gal name Evelyn who works at PacifiCare, my former employer of 13 years.

We went around the room to introduce ourselves and give Mercer some sort of idea where we plan to transfer and what we want to be when we grow up. I told him that I loved every aspect of Communications and wanted to be well-rounded in all emphasis. He said I "would have no trouble finding a job!" That's very encouraging!

After we took a tour (for me, this is twice in two days) of the newsroom, I spoke to Mercer about becoming an editor for the school paper. He highly recommended that I take his Journalism 101: Reporting and Writing which meets Mondays and Wednesday from 11:00 AM - 12:50 PM. By enrolling in this course, we would have an online account to CyChron.com and be solely responsible for submitting content information that feeds the school newspaper. Also, we would be assigned beats which includes three face-to-face interviews. This should be interesting! We also are allowed to check-out the state-of-the-art camera equipment necessary to enhance our reporting and journalism. Very cool!

I suppose if I expect to make the class ontime tomorrow, I should, at some point, get to bed. After all, I'll actually need to leave a little earlier so that I can go to Cypress College's Foundation to request a book voucher for the new set of books I now have to purchase for this class. I was originally going to take this course in the Spring of 2007, but quite frankly, since I am still job-less and have the time in the morning, I thought "Why not?" I haven't heard any feedback from the companies I've interviewed with in the past week, so I think this is a wise decision. I just truly hope I won't have to drop a class mid-term as this will become problematic with another "W" on my transcripts. It would jeopardize my scholarship and financial aid status! We don't want that to occur!

Off to bed...more later!

No comments: