Saturday, August 19, 2006

Dear Diary...


I have this friend, "Jessica," who I absolutely adore and we share so much in common, in terms of school, that is. We are both overachievers, strive to be "the best" in class, and get along well with our professors. Okay, so I lied about having alot in common. Actually, the only thing we have in common IS school and the desire to finish here at the JC level and move on to bigger and better things at the university level.

While although I get along well with "Jessica," I have to say I am happy not to have a class with her this semester. I'm probably going to shoot myself in the foot for saying (well, writing) this, but it's true. You see I had this friend in high school who was the same way: overachiever, always wanted to be the best in class, talented, etc., that I absolutely hated! Even though we shared so much in common and we had the same group of friends and we were in the same dance squad (I guess you could call it a dance squad...Bannergirls...not your typical banner girls in a marching band. We were an elite group of 12 girls who were in the front of all parades, and danced in the middle of the football field like we were the Lakers girls...but a little less wild). Ahem.

My point? I felt as though last semester I had to compete with "Jessica." It was getting on my nerves! It was causing me to hate going to class becuase of her. We even had to do experiments together as we were lab partners. I think after I tailored-off towards the end and went along at my own pace, it got much better. I had to stop competing with her. I felt I could do it on my own especially being a mother of four kids, and an adult re-entry student, geting good grades in school (and at the time) working full-time while going to school. I had to stop beating myself up!

So you see, Dear Diary, this semester is going to be GREAT! I am taking just two classes to finish up my GE's and two elective classes to count towards my major courses! While I plan on keeping in touch with "Jessica," I am very happy to have my sense of independence back!

Bring it on!

No comments: